Tuesday, January 1, 2008

I know who I'm cheering for!

So, the most annoying couple left on The Amazing Race got booted the other night. I know, Ron and Chris are annoying and so are Nate and Jen, but I really couldn't stand Kent, of Kent and Vixen. Her, I liked, and I feel bad for her that her boyfriend is probably gay and just doesn't know it yet. These things happen. Trust me. Of course, they're all not so obvious as the two of you fighting over lip gloss, but some people have to be hit over the head, ya know? Anyhoo...

I just find TK and Rachel to be adorable and a prototype for some perfect racing couple. They are so frickin' good to each other in the midst of all this stress, it blows my mind. Nate and Jen, on the other hand, looked like they'd rather be having root canal when they said "I Love You" in the cab. I also really like Don and Nick, and I think it's because Nick reminds me of a friend from college who I became very close with and then lost touch with almost as quickly, as you sometimes do in college. He was such a genuinely good guy, and Nick seems that way as well. I was worried when he (Nick, not my old college pal) was so dehydrated, although it looks like Grandpa's having the same deal next week. It also struck me tonight that they're not terribly affectionate for a grandfather and grandson, but maybe that's me being a girl again. It could also be that Nick calls him "Don" instead of "Grandpa".

Ron and Chris are just there, and I don't know how or why. I just find myself hoping his hernia starts acting up and they get eliminated already. They're so dull, despite all the fighting. So, there are no really good villains this time, but I'm sure that's happened before. I mean, no team may ever surpass The Guidos of the inaugural race for sheer E-VIL. But, I console myself with the fact that I'm down to two teams I like and two I really don't to cross the finish line first. All in all, it's still not a bad way to spend an hour each week.

I've also spent some of my time off catching up on the old DVR. I am now officially obsessed with Mad Men and was thrilled to find out that AMC is re-running the season starting Jan 21 at midnight! Now I can see the first few episodes, which I missed and did not tape, and the third to last episode, "Indian Summer", which inexplicably, did not record, even though it's in the DVR. What's up, technology? How you gonna do me like that? I'm not sure when the DVD's out (Amazon did not have it showing anywhere), but I'll have to get that, for sure. If you have not watched the show, I must add my voice to the chorus of those singing its praises. It's fascinating, creepy, engrossing and stunning to watch. And the recreation of every single detail of the period--1960 to be exact--is unbelievable. They even shoot it in such a way that it just looks... older. I work in advertising, as most of you probably know, and when I had an office (what I like to call "The Golden Age"), I can assure you there was not a full bar in it, like all the guys have on this show. Then, again, I now work for a female boss and with almost all women, which would have made Don Draper's head explode, so there you go.

I thought I might get in a few more movies, too, but it didn't happen. I watched one mediocre year-old romcom, Music and Lyrics. It was OK, but I'm glad I didn't pay for it or anything. I did enjoy Hugh Grant's singing of cheesy pop songs (I'm a sucker for those), but never need to see his bare chest again, frankly. The fake video at the beginning and end (the second version done "Pop Up Video" style) was actually great. The movie did have one of those little devices you only see in movies, that always fascinate me, like the fact that people always come home from the grocery store with brown paper bags that must include a leafy green vegetable and a loaf of crusty french bread. This one was the always wacky 'wrap yourself up in the entire comforter when you're embarrassed after last night's ill-advised hookup'. That one always gets me. It just seems like it would be a lot easier to either find your clothes or run into the bathroom. But, I'm an old married woman, so what do I know? Clearly, I'm in need of sleep, which seems like as good a way as any to end this post!

3 comments:

Don said...

"romcom" ...dang! You sound like an insider.

Though its a 50/50 shot that a team with an old-person could win, once again, its going to be a couple.

arfboy65 said...

After making love last night, I wrapped myself up in my blanket (leaving my lover cold in bed) and slipped downstairs. I could not sleep knowing that I left my brown bag of carrots & bread out on the counter.

Music & Lyrics need just that.

Myndi said...

ARF--since you sleep with MY SISTER, I am going to go curl up in the fetal position now...