Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Random and Retro


So, this morning, I listened to a TAPE in my car. Yes, that's what I said, a tape. It was something I happened to find in the storage bin I have in my arm rest...Common Thread: Songs of The Eagles, and it was released in 1993. Basically, it's a Eagles tribute album, and it's all Country artists. I love The Eagles, but not so much Country music, however this album is not too bad. I mean, no one desecrates an Eagles song in the way Kristy Lee Cook positively molested "8 Days A Week" on American Idol.

By far, the best songs are "I Can't Tell You Why", sung by Vince Gill, and "Sad Cafe", covered by Lorrie Morgan. Of course, these songs are the last songs on either side of the tape, which in infuriating. How did we deal with this years ago? Rewinding, fast forwarding, flipping the damn thing over? It's just obnoxious! It was easier back when everything was on vinyl and you just counted the grooves and figured out where to drop the needle. One good note was that the tape was recorded in something called "Digalog" so the sound quality was actually not too bad.

All of this old school audio stuff made me smile twice as broadly when I saw a Chevette roll by me on the road. We had a maroon Chevette for many years, with sticky vinyl seats and a radio where you had to push the buttons to change stations. That was fun. I also spent a few minutes wondering how the TV repair shop and old school Mom N Pop hardware store (the place looks like it could be on the set of The Wonder Years) that I pass each day actually stay in business.

I'm also suddenly living with a tiny Squiggy from Laverne & Shirley as my 1 year old (he'll be two in September) has taken to saying "Hello" in the same way as that classic TV character. It's a little eerie and a lot funny.

Ferris Bueller had it right when he said, "The world moves fast. if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you might miss it."

Other random thoughts for you today...

I was a little too happy about the team from The Office winning on Celebrity Family Feud last night. I just love that entire cast, and I feel like I know them, since I listen to every commentary track on the DVDs and just follow the show so completely. I know, I may need help. But, you have to admit that it kicks ass that they picked a charity located in Scranton, PA to donate the $50K they won. That's too cool.

Finally, I have to admit that I know every word to the song "Bleeding Love" by Leona Lewis. That thing's catchy, even if it's a little gross and not terribly realistic in its lyrics. These are the things I think about, gang. That, and the fact that the new Big Brother should be a VAST improvement on the winter edition. Check out the Snap Judgements EJ & I made over at spunkybean!!

No comments: