Thursday, December 13, 2007

Golden Globe Reaction--TV Nominations

Since I'm always way behind on my movie watching, I don't feel I can comment on those Golden Globe nominations. What I can get into are the TV nods. Let's just do this like a TV Guide "Cheers and Jeers" column, but even less organized.

Yay for Big Love getting a Best Drama nom, and for Bill Paxton getting the nod for Best Actor. Of course, I'm bummed about Ginnifer Goodwin, who plays youngest wife Margene, not getting one also, as she had the juiciest stories in the show's second season and showed the most growth and range by far.

A Jeer for leaving both Lost (I hope EJ's OK) and Heroes off the best drama short list, that's just wrong. I mean, no one expects to ever see Battlestar Gallactica or The Wire get in there, but come on. And, obviously, no one was really watching Grey's Anatomy if we're to believe the steaming pile of dung they called last season earned that nomination. Even Patrick Dempsey has basically said he thought the show starting sucking the second stupid Meredith went into Puget Sound. I'll grant you that it's rallying now, but it's been down a long time. And if you're going to single out one cast member on that show, it needs to be Chandra Wilson, not Katie Heigl. Chandra is kick-ass each and every week, while I don't know anybody who doesn't want to strangle stupid, whiny Izzie.

Three Cheers for 30 Rock, including Alec Baldwin and Tina Fey getting noms. But how on earth do you put Californication in the spot that rightfully belongs to The Office? Now, I'll admit, I've never seen the show (except for the crazy long promos they ran during Big Brother After Dark last summer), but there's been nothing I've heard to indicate it was all that great. I don't even mind Duchovny getting recognized; he's very funny, always. But taking that best show slot from the Dunder-Mifflinites is unconscionable.

I can't quibble with the lead comedy categories; at least Steve Carrell got in, and I look forward to a win, so he can give another Nancy Walls-written speech, like he did previously. That was genius.

Um, why are there SEVEN lead actress in a drama nominees? And in the name of all that is holy, why is one of them Patricia Arquette?

As most people do, I simply hate the supporting categories, which lump together both drama and comedy, as well as TV Movie and Miniseries. There's no huge name actor nominated this year to make it a lock, but it's just the dumbest thing to combine such different crafts so arbitrarily. And, I like Entourage, I like it alot, but I'm not sure Kevin Dillon is really acting all that much. At least not enough to warrant an award. And who is that ham Shatner blackmailing to get all these kudos every year? Boston Legal is another show I don't watch (I remember when it was called Ally McBeal), but I've seen enough to know that he and his toupee are not doing anything special.

A final cheer for Mad Men getting all the freshman love. I don't know how Don feels about award shows, but I would imagine he'd be psyched that the show he raved about for months is getting some major props. I've got eight episodes sitting on my DVR, ready to go.

For a complete list of the Golden Globe TV nominations (and a link to the movie nominations), click here.

No comments: