Saturday, September 6, 2008

Donna Martin Graduates!

So, I finally got to watch the first hour of the new 90210. I'm waiting for the stupid CW to put episode two up on their annoying website so I can catch that, as my DVR broke the premiere into 2 separate hours, and I only got one. I think I've seen enough to make a few comments.

First of all, problem. Hannah Zuckerman Vasquez was born when Andrea was a college sophomore, and Erin Silver was already at least three or four...Kelly's mom and David's dad got married and had her when the gang was still in high school. (Remember, David lost her at the park that time because he was high? That was freshman year, when he got hooked on drugs doing overnights at the radio station.) So, I don't think there's any way the two of them would both be in high school at the same time, unless one of them is a complete moron, and we know Hannah's parents would not allow for that one. At least they didn't try to toss Maddie, Steve and Janet's daughter, into the mix, since she'd only be about eight or nine. Then, again, it's essentially a soap opera, so we could just chalk this up to SORAS (Soap Opera Rapid Aging Syndrome). Moving on...

Secondly, this Naomi girl is ridiculous. Yes, I imagine there are certainly girls like her in this era of entitlement, but even at her bitchiest, Kelly Taylor was nothing like this brat. I hope she gets some layers soon. Currently, she's like Rachel McAdams in Mean Girls.

I don't mind the central family, the Wilsons. Annie and Dixon are both likable enough, and Lori Loughlin and Rob Estes are fine so far. Kinda random to just throw in that he fathered a child with Naomi's mom right off the bat, no? It's like a reverse Steve Sanders storyline, but we're not invested with these people at all yet, so why not let it build, and make that woman even the teensiest bit likable first?

I guess that dickhead George guy who attacked Dixon is supposed to be Sanders-ish, since he had the slickest car and was a bully, even though Steve was never really like that.

Of course, Jessica Walters kicks ass as Tabitha; perfect casting there. The little bit I did see of the second hour alluded to her being in a car accident (she was drunk, right?), and I saw her hanging out with Linda Gray, who certainly knows from playing a drunk. Sue Ellen Ewing has never looked better.

I love me some Kelly Taylor, so I hope she is around consistently. And, was Nat in any other scene besides the one where he couldn't make a cappucino, and called Willie for help? Is Nadine still there too? WHY DO I KNOW THIS????!!!

I don't yet mind Ethan (Naomi's cheating boyfriend) or Navid (nice David Silver call back with the video camera and the name) and I think I like Silver so far. I like how the connections to the past leave it open for former cast members to return, but they can also be ignored or explained away as necessary.

I missed Brenda's grand entrance, which I why I want to catch episode two somehow. I also know about Kelly's son, and that we are not sure if it's Dylan's, Brandon's or someone else's entirely. Personally, I'm rooting for John Sears.

You've piqued my interest, 90210, I'll be back. Thoughts?

No comments: